[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - German Driving Licence - Learner's Licence UK - How ?

German Driving Licence - Learner's Licence UK - How ?

German Driving Licence - Learner's Licence UK - How ?

Postby Salazar » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi guys,

I'm holder of a EU driver's licence class B (car) since 18 months, issued by the German TUEV. I'm now planning to move to the UK and get a motorcycle licence over there. After reading a bit on this page, I've become really unsure which process and rules will apply to me. As far as I could understand, anybody in possession of a full valid (European) driving licence can apply for a learner's licence, provided they've taken the CBT, and will be asked to go on a theoretical and practical test within 2 years to obtain the final licence, is that correct so far ? I gotta say I've understood very little about the whole process, so if anyone would be so kind as to to explain me how the thing works, I'd really appreciate.

If you need any additional information please ask.

Thanks very much in advance,
Michael
Salazar

Re: German Driving Licence - Learner's Licence UK - How ?

Postby 2Pass Admin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum.
This is a question that has not been asked on here before but your explanation looks right.
In the UK your full car licence also acts as a provisional licence for a bike but I'm not sure how a EU licence works.
I'm sure if you can exchange it for a UK licence then this is your provisional licence for a bike too.

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer.
You don’t have to exchange your licence, but follow these steps if you want to.
1.Order form D1 from DVLA.

2.Send the form, the £50 fee and any documents you need to (including your driving licence) to the address on the form.

3.You should get your new licence within 3 weeks.

You can only drive in Great Britain for 12 months if you got your EU licence by exchanging your non-EU licence.

Class B licence is for Cars
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

You can see the vehicle you can drive here;
https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive/y

If you still have any doubts contact the DVLA.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Good Luck for the future.

If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and turn it on yourself.
2Pass Admin

Executive Site Admin

Return to Becoming a Biker