[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Reversing and parking on test

Reversing and parking on test

Reversing and parking on test

Postby greekislandlover » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 am

Hi all. My son is learning to drive with an instructor and I'm taking him out to practice what he's been taught. I'm not sure exactly what he might get asked to do in the way of parking and reversing on the test. He's doing very well at reversing into a parking bay and we are having a bash at parallel parking.

On the test, what might he be asked to do in the way of reversing and parking? If it's parking in a bay, or parallel parking will he be asked to do it on the road between other vehicles, or will he be asked to perform parking using cones at the test centre?

I want to teach him parking as it's an essential skill, but obviously knowing what to expect will be a help. His mate was asked to do a reverse round corner on his test and not park.

Thanks
greekislandlover

Re: Reversing and parking on test

Postby driverpete » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:53 pm

The reversing manoeuvre could be any one of four; bay park, parallel park, left reverse (round a corner) or turn in the road (3 point turn). If he gets parallel park it will be on the road behind a single parked car, not between 2 cars, but he will be asked to complete it within 2 car lengths, i.e. as if there were a second car behind.
Retired ADI
ROSPA Gold
Retired NDAC & NSAC trainer
driverpete

Postby Car54 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:33 pm

To add to Pete's reply, if it's a bay park it won't be between cones, it will be a real bay in a real car park.

That will only happen if there's car park at the test centre: not all centres have them. He will be asked to reverse into any suitable bay of his choice. He needs to finish with the car completely within the bay. As with all the manoeuvres, safety is more important than accuracy, so effective observations are paramount.
Car54

Postby Wessex » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:47 am

Ask the instructor, with your son's permission, if you can sit in the back
when your son has been taught the reversing exercises. That way you
can see how it is taught and ask questions after.

Nothing like first hand experience.
Learn from the mistakes of others. You don't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Dorset Police Driving Instructor; helping to make the Roads in the West Country safer.

NDAC & DASA assessor

Be fear-less; go GEAR-LESS

G4TMF 73 & 88
Wessex

Postby greekislandlover » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. He's doing well on parallel parking, so if he gets that I'm sure he will perform it OK. But reverse round corner is not so good. I'm not sure what the specification for this is. He says as long as he reverses it within the lane it's OK, but I'd like him to be a little more accurate. If he gets this, what is the examiner looking for?

Also, I've been taking him to various car parks to practice reversing into a bay. We have a Mondeo estate (bigger than the small Peugeot he is learning on) and he is pretty accurate but usually needs to straighten the car up and does it in two goes. Again, if he gets a bay park on the test what is the examiner looking for?

many thanks
greekislandlover

Postby Car54 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 pm

The examiner is looking primarily for safety: effective all-round observations (and appropriate reactions).

For accuracy, they ask you to keep "reasonably close" to the kerb, which is obviously subjective. I'd suggest that "within the lane" would be ok, so long as the lane isn't too wide! In a perfect world he'd be about a foot away from the kerb throughout.

On bay parking, I have little practical experience, as most of my local centres don't have the luxury of car parks. However, the DT1 (instructions to examiners) says "The candidate may elect to drive forward to adjust the angle at which they address the bay they intend to reverse into, or space permitting, they are allowed to drive forwards into one bay before reversing back in a straight line into the opposing bay."
Car54

Postby greekislandlover » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 am

Well, test booked for end of November in Dorchester. Apparently the likelihood is a bay park for the reversing manoeuvre as there are quite a few of the round the test centre. Drove there last night and if he gets one of them he'll be laughing. Will keep up the practice on all the other possibilities though - he needs them in order to drive IMHO.

His big fault at the moment is crossing hands when steering sometimes. Most of the time he doesn't, but if he's concentrating on a lot of other things such as parking manoeuvres or road situations he wasn't expecting he forgets to not cross his hands. How huge a problem is this if he does this on the test? Is it a fail, a major, a minor and again, what are examiners looking for on this? Apart from tasering him each time he does it, are there any tips to help?
greekislandlover

Postby Grandad David » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Crossing hands is not even a fault now. Provided the car does what it should, he can steer with his nose if he wants! He must remain in full control though, however he does it.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Postby greekislandlover » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks for the reply, and good to know it's no longer considered a fault.

I looked at your website and it bought back many memories for me - I took my test way back in 1977!
greekislandlover

Postby Grandad David » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I love the Greek Islands too, but that would have to go into OFF TOPIC forum.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Return to Independent Driving