[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Getting back into the driving seat

Getting back into the driving seat

Getting back into the driving seat

Postby Kayleigh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Okay I'm going to give this blog thing a go.

Being a born and bred londoner I possibly live in the one of the very few places that you definitely DO NOT need a car I can pretty much get everywhere I need to get to fairly easily and fairly quickly. Yet from a young age I was desperate to drive and get my own car. Neither of my parents ever drove. My mum once had a provisional lience but never took the test. Anyway I finally turned 17 and I only had one thing on my birthday list, driving lessons. Mum also bought me 2 Simulated car lessons and the BSM centre in Dalston (If they still offer that for the love of god do not waste your money).
Finally it was on to my first ever lesson, even thinking about that day a long 7 years ago I still get nervous. My instuctor arrived he was a young lad and turned up wearing a sunglasses (please note this was November) and off I went for my lesson. We didn't click at all, maybe because I couldn't look him in his eyes while he was wearing stupid ski sunglasses and he also smoked in the car on a couple of lessons. He should count himself luckly I was a shy and not very confident back then I wouldn't have that behaviour now but I willfully let him continute. I was at college at the time and got a phone call from BSM to tell me my instuctor 'Thinks he has done everything he can with me and can't take me any futher" this was after 3 lessons!!!!!!! My confidence took a massive blow. My next instuctor and I got on much better. After months of lessons (and a first becoming a member on here) I went for my first driving test unfortunately I failed aswell as failling my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th YIKES!! After my 5th test and nearly 2 years of lessons I had to give up obviously it was getting too expensive and I had just given up, I didn't care anymore and I had lost the fire to drive, and I had started to HATE driving

So 5 years on I'm back in the driving seat and I WILL PASS THIS YEAR and that's my declaration! :D

Instead of going with a big driving company instead I've gone with a smaller company in my area with an amazing repuation. pretty much everyone i went to school with, learnt with them and they now all have that precious pink little card.

I'm doing things differently now. Instead of 2 hour lessons which I found DRAINING I'm now doing only 1 hour lessons. I'm also older, wiser and more confident than I was when 17 so I'm not afraid to ask lots of questions and re do things im not confident on.

I'm on my 4th lesson with my 5th tomorrow and what I learnt 5 years ago is slowly creeping back and my Instuctor has already mentioned the test. More importantly I'm LOVING being back in the driving seat I just cannot wait to be able to drive.
I WILL GET MY HANDS ON THAT PRECIOUS LITTLE PINK CARD

5 tests failed years ago.
6th test 18.07.13 Passed 3M

I GOT MY HANDS ON THAT PRESCIOUS LITTLE PINK CARD
Kayleigh

Re: Getting back into the driving seat

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Had my 5th lesson and the one other thing I love about learning to driving other than learning a new skill is getting to see parts of my area I didn't know exist. Took me driving round a quiet street popular with EVERY learner in North London, and what a beautiful area I thought as I skimmed the street for my future house.
Anyway on this lesson my instructor reintroduced the DREADED reverse around the corner. I hated it first time and hate it now. i think my issue is I'm treating it like its a parking maneuver so when I'm finally round the corner and I'm half a meter away from the kerb I'm too hard on myself thinking I've done it wrong.
On a positive note took a drive to a major junction and I OWNED it. So proud of myself :D
Got my 6th lesson tomorrow early in the morning before work god I'm already regretting it already but sacrifices must be made to get that precious pink card.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Had my 6th lesson had to cancel it last week due to not being well.
Anyway today had my lesson I'm no longer getting nervous as I wait for my instuctor to come pick me up thats got to be a good sign that my confidence is back to driving and more inportantly I'm enjoying my lessons. :D
Tired to do a few maneuvers but only managed the bay park and parrell park. I suppose in inner London thats alot. I nailed the bay park so PROUD of myself. I also need to empty my head of the advice my last instructor gave me. My current one has made the 'formula' so much easier.
Struggled big time on major junctions turning right. I know I was going to struggled on these again as I'm quite hesitant. However on this junction the main road was rather busy as it hitting lunchtime. A rather inpatient fellow (belive me I'm calling him worst in my head) behind tooted me seraval times I was getting a little flustered but I couldn't go if there was traffic coming from both sides. However this man lost his patience and over took me on to the major road and learnt quite quickly just why I was unable to move out, it was around the time he nearly crushed into a volvo. I hate (love) to admit I enjoyed seeing the slight moment of panic on hs face.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow it's been a while. I have 2 good excuses Thailand and overtime. If you get a chance to go to Thailand please do the country is amazing I fell in love with the country and its people.
Anyway, having just had my 12th lesson I've already booked my 1st test for the second time :wink: . Middle of July is D-Day ahhhh already nervous everytime I think about it. I'm not test ready if I'm honest. However I'm taking my test in Wood Green and mid July is their ealiest test date they can provide. So If i wait till I'm test ready during lessons I reckon I won't be taking my test till god knows when. However July is still far away I reckon I've got about 10 weeks till the test so that an opportunity to have 20 hours worth of lessons I should be ready and raring to go by then.
Today I had my 12th lesson and my general driving in my opinion is getting really good. Getting better at meeting traffic, something I struggled with first time round and again now during my lessons. However my bay parking was horrendous, I really hope no one was watching me attempt that parking it was awful.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu May 16, 2013 4:00 pm

So yesterday I had my first 2 hour lesson now that I'm leading up to the big day. I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel I'm really enjoying the lessons, something I never enjoyed 6 years ago. I learned alot for example turning for a minor road (20mph) to a major road (40mph) I need to be ready much quicker than I have done in the past. Also had a few good examples idiots on the road. One being someone undertaking me appoaching traffic lights which had turned red! I suppose he didn't like the fact I slowed down. Slowing down for a red light How dare I?!?!?!?! :twisted:

I'm thinking once I've passed my test I'm going to wonder the streets giving out penalty notices to drivers giving learner drivers a hard time and being overall dangerous because god forbid they get stuck behind a learner. I would love to meet these drivers who were born with a drivers licence as they seem to have completely forgotten that once upon time they were once learners themselves. God its so frustrating

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu May 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Is it just me or is this year flying by I mean its almost half way through the year?!?! And even worst everyday I'm getting closer to my test.

I'm trying to think positive I want this licence so bad.
Had what I think was my 15th lesson yesterday so I've roughly had 15 to 19 hours on the road so far and I have about 8 two hour lessons till test day thats 16 hours of more practice <<< wow Just writing that down and seeing how much practice I'm going to get in before the test has made me feel far more confident. The progress I've made in the last 15 lessons is amazing and the fact I have pretty the same amount of hours to go, I'll driving like Jenson Button before I know it (The quality of the drive not the speed of course)

So had my lesson yesterday and concentrated on the general driving aspect rather than any manoeuvres I don't know if this was deliberate or not. Hopefully I can do some manoevres next week I'm really concerned about my bay park its awful. I don't think its helps that every driver I know doesnt seem to bay park the way they were taught haha :twisted: Did the dreaded Great Cambridge Roundabout again and I owned it!!!! If anyones knows the Great Cambridge It is so daunting for a learner.

More to come next week :D

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:52 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

^^^
Thats my frustration and panicking setting in. Was due to have a 2 hour lesson last Thursday, however my boyfriend's sister went on holiday and asked us to look after her flat and feed her fish (so far 3 fish have died). Her flat isn't a million miles away from my home but it is awkward to get back to mine as I have to get get 2 buses or its a decent enough walk. So I wanted to arrange it with my Instructor to have him pick me up from hers. Now its good to know that her flat is in my london borough and in my driving schools catchment area AND we've driven past it in the past, so I thought it was acceptable enough to ask him to pick me up from her's. I text him explaining for one week only to pick me up from a different place, he text me back refering that I was talking about next weeks lesson no idea why as I did put the word TOMORROW in my text making it so clear. I text him back with these exact words "No I mean pick me up tomorrow from .....etc" once again making it clear i was refering to the next days lesson. Anyway he didn't reply to that text and that got me worried but I thought I'd made it clear so there should not have had a problem. So my lesson was 10:30 and that came and went and no word from my instructor so by 10:45 I knew he wasn't turning up so I rang him, he told he'd though I cancelled and he was ALREADY booked my slot and the next time he could fit me in was the next thursday (tomorrow) and with my test coming up in 6 weeks a 2 week break is the last thing I wanted! I know I have 12 or so hours left of lessons and I'm sure thats plently enough but I have taken 5 tests so far and I need to make my 6th the last I want to get as much practice as I can.This isn't the first time he has done this a few weeks back he tempory lost his diary and booked my next lesson with him on his iPad and he obviously didn't transfer my lesson and again he didn't turn up, I didn't mind so much that time as my test wasn't booked. People have told me to drop him as he seems a little unreliable but at this stage I think thats a bad idea.

Anyway I have the rearranged lesson tomorrow so I'll keep you posted, I'm sure you'll all be on the egde of your seat :lol:

Till next time.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

41 days to go!!!

Finally had the lesson I should of had last week and it went okay. tired the bay park again and I have no idea where I'm going wrong its actually awful and I'm sure painful to watch. Done my favourite the turn in the road (and when I say favourite I mean the one I seem to do the best) I know where i have to work on and thats meeting traffic there are plently of wee roads in Wood Green and so I have know I need to nail that. Lesson booked for next week.

Till next time!

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 pm

9 whole days to go!!

So next week is the big day!! wow is it this normal to already feel this nervous over a week before test day!! I'm trying to be positive because as my boyfriend says "If you think your going to fail, you will fail" but having already failed 5 times its hard not to think that this is just another failed test. However today it dawned on me that maybe this time in 9 days time I could have my driving licence and I got really excited!!!! I might be able to drive on my own in 9 days ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It would make my life if I pass my test next week but I understand that the only person that can do that is me!!! To be safe I haven't told many people apart from my best friend, my boyfriend and my parents.

I'm fairly confident on everything in my driving apart bay parking im really concerned about it there is no where in my area that they will allow us to practice its so frustrating!! I have to past on the 18th because chances are they won't have a test available till september/october and thats too far away!!! But I'm not thinking like that I will pass my test next thursday I will, I will, I will, I WILL!

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:29 pm

24 Hours to go!!!!!

OH MY GOD!! I cannot believe how quickly this has appeared its a joke!
Had a 2 hr lesson today so pleased my instructor could fit me in today. It went so well my general driving is great and I feel so confident and happy at the wheel of a car! However I paniced at a slip road going on to a very fast road so had to start and again get out the car and let my instructor show me how its done, then I had to do it again it went better 2nd time round however I am preying that I'm not taken there tomorrow.
It dawned on that this time tomorrow I COULD HAVE A DRIVING LICENCE!!!! That's insane and I'm going to use that train of thought to spur me on tomorrow morning. I never wanted anything so much in my life I hope to god that tomorrow I'll walking down the street (hopefully to a car showroom :wink: ) with the biggest smile on my face!!

Here we go 2pass!!

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Day of the test ......

And if anyone has been reading this I'm pleased to scream I PASSED!!!!!! With 3 minors. I'm absolutely over the moon and couldn't be more happier! I rung my auntie to tell her the good news and she said that I've wanted to drive for so long that she remembers me picking up a massive theory book when I was about 12 and I used to sit in her car and pretend to drive from even younger.

I had a very kind driving examiner he was so fair and tired to best to calm me down although nothing he could have said calmed my nerves I was so nervous, I was physically shaking that has never happened to me before. It still hasn't sunk in that I can drive on own legally ahhhhhhhh.

I know everyone say but I was convinced I had failed but I hadn't and I only had 3 minors I mean I'm a brilliant driver!

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:42 pm

One week on and I'm still flying high. I cannot believe I am allowed to drive on my own its insane!

As soon as I got back from my test I was straight on Autotrader to find a car! I've got my eyes on a Citreon C3 I think they are beautiful and seem to have fantastic reviews from other owners. I have a Citreon C3 parked outside my house (Not mine a neighbours) and it looks a great size for a first car.

Haven't driven since my test but it has only been a week since I passed. It still hasn't sunk in that I have passed I cannot wait to get my licence through post.

I think my licence will suit my purple purse :D

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:08 pm

My licence came through the post today ... well not today it actually come on Saturday but I was away from home the weekend so didn't notice it on the side on Monday morning. Anyway this morning I come home from my boyfriend to find a card on the sofa. Opened the card and it was a "Well Done" card from my mum and dad with my licence inside.

The best thing to come through the post since my Provisional 8 years ago ;)

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Still without a car but maybe not for long!!

Last Monday me and my boyfriend decided to go 'Window Car Shopping'. So off we went looked up local dealers to us on Autotrader and off we went looking for our perfect car. Went to a couple of dealerships but nothing really stuck out as something we wanted. I am being a bit picky with the choice of car I want:

- A small engine (of course)
- big-ish boot
- Hatchback
- 5 door

The 5 door feature is maybe the most important thing I want on my car as I will be driving my mum and dad here there and everywhere and its only fair they travelled in comfort.
Anyway no where we had go to had anything we liked so we went to a car hypermarket not to buy because I know they can charge through the roof but just to browse and get an idea of what we are looking for. The salesman was of course very flattering and charming showed us a few cars like the new Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2 and the Volkswagen Polo and I fell in love with the Polo. Credit to the salesman here he asked me when had I passed my test which at that point is was only 3 weeks and asked if I had driven since I had passed which I hadn't and still god bless him he allowed me a test drive around the car park and surrounding area. It was the first time ever I had driven on my own without a instructor or an examiner and it felt amazing!!!!! All the money, time and nerves were worth it!
Of course we were then pressured into buying the car but me and my boyfriend had put our foot down and stayed strong and made it clear that we were only browsing (something we made very clear when we were approached as we walked into the showroom). However we were only there 45/50 minutes and our salesman and his manger knocked down the priced by nearly £2000 because we were not driving away with it. Hopefully me and my boyfriend will get the money together this week and hopefully purchase a wee polo and get on the road jack :wink:

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Hello to any loyal readers have you missed me ....... silence........ hmmm anyway the reason for absense is because I've been zipping around London in my brand new Polo.
Having my own car is amazing and boy its true when they say you stop learning.
The car couldn't have come at a better time as my partner done his knee in at Rugby so having a car was a true blessing.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Hello driving people!!

Woah its been a while since I last updated.
Anyway I never questioned when people said the REAL learning happens after you pass your test. But boy they are right!!! There are so many fools (<<<edited :D ) out in the road and they seem so comfortable putting my life at risk as well as their own!!

They were also right when they said how expensive it is to own a car. Forget actually buying the car and insuring it. There's parking permits, Tax, Petrol and maintenance my very MOT cost me £500. My own fault so I deserve it.

I have had the car since August now and yesterday was the first day I drove on the Motorway jeezo that was scary!! I wasn't on there for long and only on the M1 not the dreaded M25. So after 7 months of avoiding the motorways and if I do say so myself I done well, now the entire island is in the palm of my hands I could go anywhere! I went from London to Whipsnade and I've got my eyes on Scotland. maybe its a bit much going from a one hour trip to a 8 hour trip but hey a girl can dream and have car will travel!

Till next time

Kayleigh

Return to Driving Blogs