You and Your Instructor

Re: You and Your Instructor

Postby Chelle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 pm

1st instructor - female from local driving school, gave me 3 lessons, but kept cancelling and then didn't turn up at all, she was friendly enough though. She seemed eager to get me to drive home pretty much straightaway, but I didn't feel ready. Attempted a turn in the road on 3rd lesson. Driving school tried to say she had been waiting for me outside, despite me telling her the week previously I was away at the weekend and wouldn't be available!

2nd instructor - from same driving school as above, I knew the guy anyway as he used to work in the local chip shop. Had 3 lessons with him, the 3rd of which was when he told me I would never be a driver as I had no confidence and he had to keep telling me to change gears all the time. He didn't charge me for the lesson and promptly drove me home and didn't book anymore lessons for me, after which I felt useless.

3rd instructor - recommended from a friend who passed with him. He was a really nice guy, but after 6/7 months with him I'd never done one manoeuvre, he was always promising me we'd practise them on next lesson but it never happened. I felt like I wasn't progressing with manual and decided to find someone who taught automatic.

4th instructor - 1 lesson with guy from the BSM, nice enough and no real qualms. Lesson was 2 hours.

5th instructor - recommended from instructor number 3. Very straight-talking, seemed to have a very short fuse, non existent communication and hardly any praise. Taught manoeuvres well and at first I thought he was ok, but really started to dislike him.

6th instructor - recommended from someone at work, brilliant reviews on driving school website, fantastic instructor and extremely friendly/patient, I feel like I would have passed straightaway if I'd been taught by him from the beginning. There is truth in the saying, good things come to those who wait, and I've never once regretted changing. He is quite literally worth his weight in gold.

xxx
First driving lesson - Sunday 5 July 2009. // Theory test passed - Saturday 8 May 2010. - 45/50, 53/75.
Sixth practical test - Tuesday 30 August 2011. - Passed - 8m - Blyth test centre. // Pass Plus - Saturday 1 October 2011.
Chelle

Postby Skizz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 pm

1st Instructor was a Moroccan guy from Croydon, was very formal and kept pulling me over and picking everything apart that I did...I was reasonably confident but getting pulled over and lectured every 5 minutes got irksome and after 4 hours (2 lessons) I left it and didn't drive for a good year or so.

2nd (and current) Instructor I get on with well, very laissez-faire and lets me drive and goes through things as we go along (including mistakes etc). Motivates me well and he's a quality bloke. Very comfortable hence the reason I've made such progress with him!
Theory Test : Passed First Time 03-06-11 (Multiple Choice 50/50 Hazard Perception 63/75)
Practical Test : Passed First Time 30-03-11 (1 Minor)
Skizz

Postby Coffeegirl-not » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:04 pm

My impression was, wow I love her hair...she had beautiful hair :) On a serious note, she was very friendly, talkative and calm so exactly what i needed on my first lesson :)
Coffeegirl-not

Postby kerrysay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

My instructor is a great teacher, but he can be either great fun or really moody. just depends on his mood that day lol
kerrysay

Previous

Return to Ask the Learner