[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Assessment

Assessment

Assessment

Postby Grandad David » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I have applied for an assessment test drive with the IAM. Let's see if I can still do it!
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Re: Assessment

Postby Mother Giz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Postings from Old Forum 16553. Joined 14th March 2002 +50500

I'm a sensative person really.

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
DO NOT PUSH ME TO THE LIMIT
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby Grandad David » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Took my assessment drive today and got "excellent drive", no points to improve. Not bad after 65 years driving.

All points were marked "competent" :)
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Postby Mother Giz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Congratulations, I new you would do it :D

Postings from Old Forum 16553. Joined 14th March 2002 +50500

I'm a sensative person really.

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
DO NOT PUSH ME TO THE LIMIT
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby Grandad David » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:13 pm

The actual write-up was:-

"A nice smooth and safe drive. You have displayed that you are an experienced and competent driver. You sometimes signal when it is not necessary and could make a little more progress when you have the right of way. You are considerate to other road users. Overall a nice drive. Well done."

The progress thing was at chicanes with oncoming traffic and I wanted to make sure they were actually going to give way to me. Experience told me that they sometimes do not. I was just easing off slightly. He said this might give them the impression that I was giving way to them, which is a fair point. He said to just drive straight through. Not sure I like the sound of that!

The signaling is a direct legacy of the DSA, who signal for everything. I am not in total agreement with the IAM about this although of course I did not say that to the examiner! Their policy of not signaling if there is nothing there falls apart if something suddenly appears. I would not signal at deserted junctions with clear visibility in all directions, but otherwise, provided a signal would not cause confusion, I usually apply one. Interestingly, in the DSA learner test, if a car appeared at a side road ahead with a give way on it where I had already said "take the next road on the left please" and caused our signal to be applied hurriedly and late this would be marked as a driver error and if repeated several times could become a potentially dangerous habit and the driver would fail!
Last edited by Grandad David on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Postby Car54 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Well done! I'm not sure I'd do so well, after a mere 47 years driving!

Did he really say "right of way"? Has he read the Highway Code?
Car54

Postby Grandad David » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 am

Yes he did say right of way. I remember the saying "He was right, dead right, but he was just as dead as if he was wrong"
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Return to Advanced Driving