[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Automatic Mondeo

Automatic Mondeo

Automatic Mondeo

Postby Stiletto » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I am looking at buying a Mondeo automatic seen this one like the look of it and can haggle the dealer and get more off it

http://www.discount-cars.co.uk/used-car ... 9504107697

wonder what people think, other thing is I've never driven an automatic before, would I be able to get in and drive it straightaway or should I have a lesson in an automatic car with an instructor first
Stiletto

Re: Automatic Mondeo

Postby Mother Giz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 am

Postings from Old Forum 16553. Joined 14th March 2002 +50500

I'm a sensative person really.

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
DO NOT PUSH ME TO THE LIMIT
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby Paul_1966 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Paul_1966

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm

I can't offer any advice about automatic cars as I've never driven one, but I did used to drive a 2004 Mondeo (albeit manual and diesel). It was quite simply superb :D Mondeos are excellent cars, and apart from the odd tyre change, I never had a problem with mine. If your car turns out to be anything like mine, you'll love it :lol:
"When Solomon said that there was a time and a place for everything, he had not encountered the problem of parking an automobile."
--------
1st theory test - 19th Oct '09: Passed! 49 MC / 53 HP
1st practical test - 15th Dec '09: Failed! 6M / 1S
2nd practical test - 26th Jan '10 Failed! 12M / 3S (very nice!)
3rd practical test - 26th Feb '10 Passed! 3M

Now driving a 2008 plate Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec
Mike

Postby Car54 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Car54

Postby Stiletto » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for the replies
I drove the car today, first of all the salesman drove it and explained how to use the gearbox I observed then I drove it myself, felt different but not too bad the brakes felt quite sharp, but after a while I felt I would be confident enough to drive it alone.
I tried to find an auto instructor for a lesson but there all too busy.
I'm gonna go back with a friend at the weekend, for a second opinion and hopefully buy it
Stiletto

Postby Paul_1966 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 pm

There is a huge thread in the general area on automatic vs. manual, and although there are some posts from people who are clearly anti-automatic, you'll find some other general comments as well. I did make multiple posts in that thread, although unfortunately all except the quoted sections have been lost due to the mishap around Christmas time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17974

But in general, I think you'll soon find you get used to it. One important point to remember is the "creep" you get when in drive (or reverse), and that if you don't have any brakes applied, you'll start moving as soon as you shift out of park/neutral. You always want to have the brake applied as you shift into drive/reverse in order to get a controlled start (I understand that on some of the newer models it's actually interlocked so that you can't shift out of park until you have your foot on the brake).

Speaking of interlocks, it can vary slightly from one car to another, but you'll also typically find an interlock between the selector and the key & starter, e.g. so that the starter won't operate unless the selector is in park or neutral, so that you can't turn the key back to lock and remove it until you've shifted to park, etc. (and remember that the park position applies a transmission lock - never shift into park until you're stationary).

Once you've got the general feel of the transmission, you can then get the hang of using the manual low-gear positions and "kick down." As you've already driven manual transmission and are familiar with the use of gears, you shouldn't have much trouble adopting the use of the low-gear lockout positions when appropriate, e.g. for descending a steep hill. "Kick down" is the arrangement whereby you can force the transmission to shift down to a lower range to get quick acceleration for passing by quickly pushing the accelerator to the floor.

As you get used to the feel of it, you'll find that there are also more subtle ways in which you can influence the automatic selection to an extent.
Paul_1966

Return to Buying or Selling a car