[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Selling a car with a VIC marker set against it?

Selling a car with a VIC marker set against it?

Selling a car with a VIC marker set against it?

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:14 pm

As the title suggests, I'm selling a car with a VIC marker set against it. A VIC marker means that a registration certificate can't be issued unless the vehicle is deemed not stolen. Does it have to be the current registered keeper/owner who gets the VIC removed, or can the buyer do it?
"When Solomon said that there was a time and a place for everything, he had not encountered the problem of parking an automobile."
--------
1st theory test - 19th Oct '09: Passed! 49 MC / 53 HP
1st practical test - 15th Dec '09: Failed! 6M / 1S
2nd practical test - 26th Jan '10 Failed! 12M / 3S (very nice!)
3rd practical test - 26th Feb '10 Passed! 3M

Now driving a 2008 plate Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec
Mike

Re: Selling a car with a VIC marker set against it?

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

It does seem like nothing but a money maker to me. My car was written off by very light damage (repaired now), and yet I have to get a VIC check done (at my own cost - the accident wasn't my fault) to prove that it's not stolen. Of course, cars get in accidents everyday that are not classed as written off, could easily be substituted with a stolen car and are still not required to get a VIC.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know I could drive to/from a VOSA station without tax - this is why I didn't want to go and get a VIC myself, but now I suppose I probably should.

Whilst we're on the subject of unnecessary Government inteference, I cannot fathom why uninsured cars need to be given a SORN. It's claimed to help eliminate uninsured drivers, but if someone is going to drive without insurance, they're not going to think twice about owning a car without insurance. When my car was "written off", its MOT and insurance was cancelled - an inconvenience enough without having to declare it a SORN due to the cancelled insurance.
"When Solomon said that there was a time and a place for everything, he had not encountered the problem of parking an automobile."
--------

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am

--------

Mike

Postby pranger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:52 pm

I don't think they'll refund your VIC fee, any more than they'll refund the fuel or toll you use to get there. They already paid you their value estimate for the car before the accident, minus their value estimate after the accident, and gave you the car as - in their view - an unrepairable heap of junk - so now they're all square. Any expenses you incur during repairs are already covered by their payouts.

BTW, was this your Mondeo that you got new doors for?
pranger

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 pm

--------

Mike

Return to Buying or Selling a car