[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Picking a car up from the dealers

Picking a car up from the dealers

Picking a car up from the dealers

Postby fionanex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi guys,

I've just managed to sell my 03 plate Punto (which I've only had for two weeks - long story!) for the princely sum of £775 - the guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow all being well! After that, I will be car-less. For how long though, I'm not sure...

Initially, we were looking at the new VW Up!s but were told that there was a 4-5 month wait on them! :shock: So off we went to Platts on Saturday instead and started looking at some used Fiat 500s (my dream car, but way over our budget to buy new!).

We put a deposit down on an 08 Fiat 500 on Monday just gone and the original plan was to have the car on finance from the dealers. Later on, (although we should have done this before!) we checked if the monthly repayments on a bank loan would be lower, which they were. Online, they said they would give us a decision in 24 hours. We called the dealers straight away and told him we were looking into a loan and he said that was fine and to give him a call when we knew what was going on.
By Wednesday, we still hadn't heard anything from the bank so we called and were told that the delay was due to them not being able to "find" me as I wasn't on the electoral register (recently changed address). A few phone calls later, it's all now sorted and our application has been accepted. However, now we have to wait for the paperwork to arrive, sign it and send it back before the cash will hit our account.

Anyway... to the questions:

How long will the dealer hold the car for before they will have to let it go?
The bank said the paperwork went out in last night's post (first class) so I guess it will probably turn up tomorrow. I'm going to sign it and take it in-branch and demand they transfer the loan straight away. :lol: We've been told they can do a same day transfer as soon as they get the paperwork back (although I need to check if they will accept it in-branch).
Hopefully, we can walk into Platt's either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning, do the deal and that will be the end of it, but if it doesn't work like that and the paperwork needs to be checked etc, then we might have a problem.
Does anyone have an idea how long a dealer will "save" the car for you? I imagine it varies from dealer to dealer. We should have asked at the time but due to us thinking we would go with the finance, we didn't even think of it. Of course, the easy way to find out would be to ring them but just wondered if anybody had an idea to put my mind at rest. :D He's going to call us tomorrow anyway to find out where we're up to.

Once paid for, how long will it be before I can drive it away? Again, another question I can ask the dealer tomorrow...
I imagine this varies from place to place too, but I was under the impression that once the deal's done money-wise, I could pick it up fairly quickly. It will be serviced and "prepared" before I can take it so I was planning on maybe waiting a few days for it. The other half dropped a bombshell on me though last night and said I would probably be waiting around 2 weeks!! (That's apparently what he had to wait for his car from the Vauxhall garage for them to "prepare" it!) I'm slightly worried now as I'm getting rid of my car tomorrow (I wanted a quick sale). It's not a massive problem as I can get a lift to work and walk back if necessary but it's just a bit longer that I thought. If anyone has had any experience with this dealer, could you tell me how long you had to wait to get your car?

Thanks!
fionanex

Re: Picking a car up from the dealers

Postby 2Pass Admin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 am

You not mentioned road tax or insurance :?
Usually you are not allowed to take the car unless it is road taxed and you can't get road tax without insurance.

Your Loan should be sorted out soon, so the dealer will wait until all the money is in place.
It's usual for these things to take up to 10 days to sort.
Your dealer will guide you tomorrow so don't worry about how long it takes. :roll:

Good luck with your new car :wink:

If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and turn it on yourself.
2Pass Admin

Executive Site Admin

Re: Picking a car up from the dealers

Postby lucy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am

It varies from dealer to dealer, as admin has said you need to sort the insurance so car tax can be purchased and the dealer won't let you pick the car up without it being taxed.

I have managed to source a car and get it within 48 hours, but I was in a rush. Best thing for you to do is ring the salesman and ask when the car will be ready etc. it's part of his job to talk you through the process.
I teach in a mini one

http://www.miniscule.me.uk

lucy

Return to Buying or Selling a car