[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Insurance Writeoff's....

Insurance Writeoff's....

Insurance Writeoff's....

Postby Alderjordan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment and need some advice, at the age of 39 in a few weeks I will be finally taking my Practical test and hoping to pass. Just recently an apparent stroke of luck came my way when a good neighbour offered to sell me his car for £500, this is a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 and he took me for a ride with it and let me drive it briefly around an isolated track, I was and still am very impressed with it. It drives smoothly, it looks great for its age, and it's literally just across the road waiting for me... it seems ideal. Now, the snag - it's an insurance write-off.
He's been perfectly honest about that, he bought it from a yard and it has been fully restored, I have done some further research and found out that it was written off with 'Category C extensive damage', back in november of 2009, it does appears to be registered with the DVLA (with the current owner presumably) and I know that it is not at all illegal being back on the road like this...?

Now obviously I have barely and knowledge of what any of this entails and what the implications are. I understand me reselling it will be tough to do, but at that price even if i only get two or three years out of it it would be worth it given it's just a first car yes? But I'm particularly worried about the Insurance implications, would it cost more with me being a newly qualified driver touting a company for a quote and naturally having to declare it? What if I have an accident and there's a payout needed? And Do garages (or anyone else) request a service history for the vehicle? With this being an ex-write off it has none. I have no idea of it's service history or what it's had done to it and I don't know how huge a problem any of this actually is... at the end of the day it is a nice car.

Help anyone? :cry:
Alderjordan

Re: Insurance Writeoff's....

Postby Grandad David » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:38 pm

If they have been repaired correctly and well, there is nothing wrong with insurance writeoffs that have been rescued. I used to know someone who did this often and his cars were always like new, and very reasonable. Try to find out what was done to it to "restore" it, and who did it.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Postby Alderjordan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks very much for the reassurances... :arrow: I will have to have a talk with him about all this though I'm not sure if he'd actually have any idea what has been done to it to get it back on the road, it feels a bit like I'd be doing something a bit foolish if I go through with this but on the other hand it's a first car and I can graduate to something more secure and safe in time. If there are no immediate pitfalls or traps in buying such a car is it something reccomended for a first time driver I wonder? :roll:
Alderjordan

Postby Alderjordan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Alderjordan

Postby audigex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 pm

For £500 you can't really argue as long as he's been up front about it.

The problem with write-offs is when people sell them without disclosing it and you pay full whack for a car that's had extensive damage. As long as it was repaired properly there's no problem.
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
Driving an Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro ()
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby fionanex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I think you should go for it for £500.

My mum bought a category C car and had it for 4 years without it letting her down once (besides a flat battery once). It's in pretty good nick too!

I swapped my car for this one a couple of weeks ago but didn't know it was a cat c at the time (!!!) and mum didn't mention it. The first I knew was when I was talking to my mum about the part-ex we'd been offered on it and she asked me if I'd told them "it had been in an accident" :shock: It never even occurred to me! Hadn't checked the log book either, which I should have done obviously.

I panicked about the insurance too, convinced that I wasn't insured because I hadn't declared it, or that the premiums would shoot up when I did tell them. I rang them and they said it didn't make any difference as long as it had a valid MOT certificate. They said it didn't need to be declared. They did say though to take the category into account when you tell them the "value" of the car as it will be worth less, but of course as it's £500 anyway, that's not really an issue.

I've had a bit of trouble trying to sell the cat C car. I've advertised it and not mentioned the fact it was a write-off and have had quite a bit of interest, but when I've called them back later to discuss and told them about it, a lot of them have decided they aren't interested anymore. So that's always something to think about although I don't think it matters too much to you if you're just looking for a first car to maybe run into the ground before upgrading :D
fionanex

Postby Alderjordan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:51 am

Alderjordan

Return to Buying or Selling a car