[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - 2001 pug 307

2001 pug 307

2001 pug 307

Postby Handie Andy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm

So i received a phonecall from my nephews mum yesterday informing me that her brother is selling the above car! I am going to view it tomorrow but what should i be looking out for?.

A few things i would like to point out from what i have been told on the phone. A case of to good to be true maybe?

He wants £ 300 for it.
It has just had a 12 month mot put on it.
Tax has been renewed for 6 month
4 new tyres
63k miles.

Im not one to judge but this all sounds a little too good considering the tax mot and tyres are not far off the asking price i reckon. I do know he is picking a new car up on monday and maybe he just wanys a quick sale who knows.

As you have probably guessed i dont know her brother much as he has only just moved back to the area due to a split from the mrs.

Any help would be great.

Thanks all
Theory test passed 14/10/2010. Multiple choice 50/50, HPT 58/75

1st practical Failed with 7m 1s 17.11.2010
2nd practical failed with 1m 1s. 07.10.2011
3rd practical passed with 3m. 28.11.2011
Handie Andy

Re: 2001 pug 307

Postby pranger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:51 pm

It is very cheap. Are you sure it runs?

My insurer gave me £1200 for a written-off 206 that was three years older than that. The scrap value is probably £100, so on top of that and the tax you'd only be paying about £150. That's not bad, even if it only lasts 6 months, and hopefully it would last longer.

The only things I know to look out for are signs of rain leaking into the cabin, and difficulty engaging the low gears (mostly 1st and 2nd) which is apparently rather common in old Peugeots. Engaging reverse can also be tough - mine often required you to release the clutch in neutral at a standstill before attempting reverse, as otherwise it would just refuse to engage. Again, apparently this is quite common in old Peugeots.
pranger

Postby Handie Andy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi pranger,

It is definately a runner he is using it as we speak. I did a few of the free car checks which all confirms its taxed and has liability (insurance i guess that means).

I am assured it is not a "rust bucket" and is probably due a good valet. This i have been told by the sellers sister who i have no reason to doubt.
Its just one of those "too good to be true " senarios, but maybe its all genuine and it just needs to be gone as he picks a new car up tomorrow. Im guessing declaring sorn finding somewhere to keep it is to much hassle for him.

I guess i will see tomorrow, asses it well and proceed with caution. My only drawback right now is i wont be able to test drive as i have no insurance.

Handie Andy

Postby Handie Andy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:04 pm

So i went to see the car today first impressions were good. It is not bad in terms of clenliness and he informed me that it is due brake pads to the rear. Also there is a knock from the passenger side front wheel which i looked up. Google tells me it is pretty common, it seems that the car is genuine and any concerns with the low price faded when the seller offered to give me a 2-3 week test drive to see what i think of it.

I will be picking it up tomorrow around 2 o clock, only time will tell! :)

Handie Andy

Postby Carantix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 am

At £300 why do you care what state it's in?

It'll scrap at £200.
Carantix

Postby audigex » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Some people just don't like to scrap a running car.

As Carantix said, you've got very little to lose - worst case scenario you could likely break even on it just by buying it, cancelling the tax and selling the tyres then scrapping it.

It sounds to me like the guy just wants rid of it with minimum hassle/paperwork.
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
Driving an Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro ()
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Return to Buying or Selling a car