[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Hard Cash Only?!!?!?!

Hard Cash Only?!!?!?!

Hard Cash Only?!!?!?!

Postby qwerty0223 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi

I viewed a car on the weekend, paid a £250 deposit. I have now sorted out the insurance and everything and was going to pick it up tomorrow.
I contacted the dealer and he has said their card machine is down and could I pay in cash.

I am really not sure whether I should do this now? The dealership looks above board so I don't think it Is this dangerous...but is this wise?! I don't know
qwerty0223

Re: Hard Cash Only?!!?!?!

Postby Car54 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

NO!

If you pay by credit card and later have a problem with the car then the credit card company is equally responsible with the dealer. This is a valuable right, as they're more likely to still be around, and to have deeper pockets than the dealer. If you pay cash you don't have this protection. (Consumer Credit Act, Section 75)

The machine being down is a feeble excuse, as they can still carry out the transaction by phoning their card company.
Car54

Postby qwerty0223 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

So if I refuse to pay cash what other options do I have.
Can I get my deposit back?
qwerty0223

Postby DonDino » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 am

Hmmm that's a very flat 'no'. What is the limit of the responsibility of the seller? You say "if you later have a problem with the car", but how can you blame the seller if he/she gave you ample opportunity to see the car, drive it, operate its electrics/electronics and see they work. Obviously if it develops a fault later on, after having driven it for a while, it could have just appeared and wouldn't have been there for the seller to know about.

Apart from that, I've bought both cars I've owned in cash. Granted, my Polo had several problems, but the little ones I knew about when I bought it, and the bigger ones (gearbox) only developed a few months later. If I had bought it on a credit card, what would the credit card company have done, replace my gearbox themselves? Probably not.
ImageImageImage
DonDino

Postby Car54 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:48 am

Car54

Postby audigex » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:15 am

Never pay cash for a deposit... if they go bust/vanish, you can lose it with cash, but the credit card company will help if you use a card.

When you're paying the balance, it's not going to make a lot of difference: you've received what you paid for, the car: if it's got manufacturer warranty (nearly new/approved used) the manufacturer will honour that, if not then the credit card company isn't going to cover any warranty you got from the dealer.

I'd still want to pay by card if it was for a large sum, ask him when the machine will be back on and leave the car until it's fixed (you've still got a deposit down). If he won't give a time then ask why not, if he can't give a timeframe then I'd worry about his motive. Things do break, but any car dealership worth their salt would make it a priority to fix/borrow/replace a card machine.
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
Driving an Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro ()
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby Lloyd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 pm

As Car54 said, there can be many reasons why one may want to reject a car.

If the dealer vanishes or does a phoenix, this would make the process of rejection harder. Paying by card provides the buyer with another opportunity to attempt to reclaim their money.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

"Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are." Franklin D. Roosevelt, 24 August 1935
Lloyd

Postby Carantix » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:53 pm

How much is the car and did you pay the deposit by credit card?

If you did, you don't need to settle the balance by card in order to have protection from S75 of the Consumer Credit Act . This protection is not the eqivalent of a used car warranty either, you need to have serious serious problems in order to have your card company do anything.
Carantix

Return to Buying or Selling a car