[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Never buying a black car again.

Never buying a black car again.

Never buying a black car again.

Postby Salman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 pm

They look lovely when new but they have the habit of showing every little scratch and blemish on the paintwork in all its glory.

Lesson learned, Never will I be buying a black car again, :)
Passed driving test 5th May 2005.
Salman

Re: Never buying a black car again.

Postby loulou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm

my car (last and current as they're both exactly the same colour :lol: ) also shows up everything - it's deep dark metallic blue

my old fiesta however was silver and had to be filthy to the point it was revolting before it showed up as 'slightly' dirty looking - apparently the appeal of having a silver car, as I've heard all silver cars have this 'bonus' ;)
Do, or do not....there is no try
You will find only what you bring in
Yoda 1977 - 2005
loulou

Location: Croydon born and bred for 30yrs, now living in Gloucestershire

Postby pranger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am

I was wondering a while ago why car paint is always glossy. Is there a practical reason (easier to clean, aerodynamics?) or is it cosmetic?
pranger

Postby Salman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:55 pm

because it looks good
Passed driving test 5th May 2005.
Salman

Postby audigex » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:30 am

They put a thick coat of resin (varnish, sort of) over the top of the paint. It looks good, but it also protects the paint. The shininess is half intentional-half side effect of the protective layer.

Silver cars only show up dirt once they're filthy. They also show a complete lack of imagination (such as buying a black audi A4/A6/BMW 3/5 series).
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
Driving an Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro ()
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby Lewistreleaven » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 am

Heard this rumour loads too! Definitely want to get a silver car aswell!

Lewistreleaven

Postby carpbud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

I have a light blue car, and this is the same as a silver car. Has been washed in ages, but only now I can see how bad it is!!
Theory Test - 26/8/11 - PASSED - 1st Time - MC - 47/50 / HT - 47/75
Practical Test - 29/12/11 - PASSED - 1st Time - 3m

First car - Lovely 2001/Y plate Wedgewood Blue "Ronnie" the Rover 25!
Now Driving 2004/54 plate Sonic Blue "Ralph" the Rover 25!

I see a pattern here.....

carpbud

Postby Grandad David » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm

My Peugeot 106 colour is Moonstone which is silver and it gets washed only twice a year but always looks smart.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Postby Jaybird » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:13 am

My Rover 75 is minging-but as it's a silvery gold colour,it still looks relatively clean. :D I'd love the thing if it was yellow tbh-it drives like no other.

The other thing about black cars is that they aren't as visible at night especially.I believe they're more likely to be involved in an accident/incident..?
Not sure if this reflects with the insurance costs though. :?

edit*typo
Jaybird

Postby audigex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Colour doesn't make a difference - dark cars are harder to see at night (but they have lights on)

Light cars are harder to see in fog/rain (when they SHOULD have lights on, tell that to the muppet in the silver Hyundai I met on the M62 a couple of years ago)
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby Laconic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:16 am

Silver is the best colour for the can't-be-arsed-to-wash-my-car-regularly crowd. I once cleaned my aunt's silver VW Polo and was picking moss out of the sills -- it'd been not washed in so long the dirt was turning into soil. It went from silver with a hint of brown to silver-silver. On the other hand, it's annoying to painstakingly hand-wash, clay, wax and polish a silver car: it looks almost the same!

Silver is the worst colour if you have a scratch. The metallic flecks just don't settle in the same way if you get it repainted.

A nice non-metallic colour for me, that shows up the effort of cleaning and repairs well: perhaps a good red. :D
Practical test passed 03/09/2008: 2 minors
FIrst car ('09-'11): 54 reg Corsa 1.3L CDTI Diesel
Second car: let's see!

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost;
that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
- Henry David Thoreau
Laconic

Postby audigex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:54 am

Red needs to be cleaned to avoid fade, but they can look great when looked after.

My Clio was an amazing colour - shone really nicely when properly cleaned, but my sister has it now and washes it once in a blue moon - when the firemen are doing their charity hose-down, or when I despair so much that it gets a few hours out of my lambswool wash mitt and whatever leftover wheel cleaner, polish, wax, clay bar kit's I have lying around.... but it still looks brilliant most of the time.

This is the colour. It's a hell of a lot less than Silver (silver cars, to me, scream of "I'm not interested in driving and should have my license taken away"), light enough to see at night, dark enough to see in fog and is a really nice colour - if a little girly for some.

My current car is VERY white, so shows up little black marks a lot but less than I was expecting when I got her. By waxing properly, I can keep her clean with a quick blast of pressure washer whenever I can be bothered, then 5 minutes with a microfibre towel.
~Jon
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Return to Buying or Selling a car