[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Help TheMadHatter Buy His First Car

Help TheMadHatter Buy His First Car

Help TheMadHatter Buy His First Car

Postby TheMadHatter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:57 pm

I started out looking at Corsa SXis, but then thought I'd look a bit of a boy racer driving one of those at 27. I've since been looking at Ford Focuses, which don't cost too much more to insure - despite being 1.6+. I've also noticed that they have decent reviews.

As it's my first car, I'm not looking to blow a fortune on it. With regards to age, I thought about buying between an 02 and 05 plate.I just want something half-decent to get about in, get through the dreaded first year of insurance with no claims and then take things from there. If the care is capable of serving me for a couple of years, I'd have no qualms with keeping it - so it's not a case of getting an old banger for a year.

Any suggestions, recommendations or advice would be most welcome.
First Lesson: 16 March 2011
Theory Test: Passed - 28 April 2011
Practical Test: Passed - 8 July 2011
TheMadHatter

Re: Help TheMadHatter Buy His First Car

Postby audigex » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 am

You'll often find that larger more powerful cars (to a point) are cheaper to insure than smaller, less powerful ones. They may consider that someone who drives a standard focus is more grown up than one who drives a sporty corsa. Similarly a Skoda with a 2l engine may be cheap, because nobody is going to buy one to be a boy racer. Engine size doesn't seem to matter as much as horsepower, either. The best 1.2 turbos can put out comparable power to an older naturally aspirated 1.6, for example.

The focus and Astra are probably your best bets to avoid "young driver" cars.
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
Driving an Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro ()
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby Carantix » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 am

Carantix

Postby audigex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:58 am

Just been doing some research of my own for next-car purposes, and the results are a bit baffling but go to prove a point.

Subject: 21 year old male, no NCB, living in a low risk post code. One sister as named driver, fully comp.

To insure a £2-2.5k, 8 year old, 1.2 petrol Renault Clio with 75bhp: £1,100
To insure an £18,000, brand new, 1.2 turbo petrol VW Polo with 105bhp: £950
To insure a £25,000, brand new, 2.0 turbo diesel Audi A3 with 170bph: £1,200
Best of all
To insure a £16,000, nearly new (2yo), 2.0 turbo diesel Audi A3 with 170bph (AS ABOVE): £1,600

Where's the logic? To get the exact same spec car, but worth £9,000 less at 2 years old, would cost me £400 more to insure? Baffling.
~Jon
Theory: 29/08/07 (32/35 and 52/75) | Practical 10/10/07 (3 Minors) | Pass Plus 04/11/07
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby TheMadHatter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 pm

That's crazy! Absolutely baffling!

Thanks for all the responses so far. They're much appreciated.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about whether it's worth viewing a car I've enquired about.

It's a 2003 (53) plate Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec with 65,000 miles on the clock for £1375. Similar spec, and even lower spec cars sell at dealerships for double the price and more.

It was supposedly a "private" seller, but when I called up I was asked "what car?" I basically asked why he was pretending to sell privately when he is obviously trading. He said he buys cars and sells them on from his house. To be fair to him, he was honest and open about it when I pulled him up on it - ie. he didn't try and hide it.

Now for the negatives about the car. It doesn't have a service history - all he has is the logbook. It is HPI clear, has never been involved in an accident (or so he says) etc.

Is it worth going to have a look at it? It looks in very good condition on the pictures, but pictures only tell a small part of the story.

I was initially put off by the fact he was posing as a private seller when he really has a few cars for sale. However, I don't blame him for not wanting to pay the overheads of being a trader - from renting a premises to supplying a warranty etc. It would be different if he had a huge stocklist, but he only has a handful of cars.

The thing I am concerned about is the lack of a service history. Does it really matter?

Just after a few thoughts and opinions really. I'll keep my search for a car in this thread so it can hopefully be used in future for others in a similar situation.
TheMadHatter

Postby Car54 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm

He's a dodgy dealer - just avoid!

This is a buyer's market. If there's anything remotely suspicious about the seller, or the car, walk away! There are thousands more out there.
Car54

Postby loulou » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Do, or do not....there is no try
You will find only what you bring in
Yoda 1977 - 2005
loulou

Location: Croydon born and bred for 30yrs, now living in Gloucestershire

Postby TheMadHatter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 am

Cheers guys. Glad to hear that others agreed with my initial decision to avoid him. My gut instinct is usually good and alarm bells started to ring so I didn't even bother with a viewing.

The search goes on! :D
TheMadHatter

Postby TheMadHatter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 pm

I've stumbled across another possibility.

It's a Ford Focus "Black" 1.6. Black isn't only the colour, it's the name of the limited edition model; the other names are things like Ink, Chic and Elle.

It's a 2001 plate (51), has 96,000 on the clock, full service history with stamps, MOT and tax until April 2011, the cam belt was changed in May, it has full leather interior and heated seats and it's from a dealer and comes with a three month warranty which can be extended. It looks immaculate.

Starting price is £1695 but I expect there is room for some negotiation.

Firstly, thoughts on the deal?

Secondly, Parkers website says that the model is the same spec as a 1.6 Zetec, with the addition of heated leather interior. However, I've found another link where it says it's based on the LX model. I'm not sure which is true? Any feedback would be appreciated.
TheMadHatter

Postby audigex » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:39 am

Looks like a good price - potentially too good, HPI check come back clear?

I'd forget about trying to work out what the original spec was - look at what it's got now and whether that's what you want. If it's got leather+heated seats it's presumably at least a decent spec, I doubt it was based on the cheapest model.
~Jon
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby TheMadHatter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:39 pm

TheMadHatter

Postby audigex » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:46 am

The Focus is indeed good, but it's lost a lot of the dominance the Mk1 built up. The Astra is a really nice car to drive and if you avoid black/navy, they're not as common. How about a golf? Not technically the same class, but it's more similar to the focus than car magazines would have: and it's a real jack of all trades. It might be a little more expensive, but then they hold their value better and I prefer the handling over the new Focuses: the latter seem to have gone a bit soft in the quest to grow up.
~Jon
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Postby TheMadHatter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Finally purchased a car!

Purchased a 2008 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 with only 7,000 miles on the clock. It's immaculate and has been a joy to drive so far. It's very smooth and extremely quick when it needs to be.

It's got all the bells and whistles, from parking sensors to a Sony CD/MP3 player with 6 CD changer etc.
TheMadHatter

!

Postby audigex » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

7,000 miles in 3 years? I'd hope it's immaculate, it's barely been run in! Sounds like an ideal first car - do you mind me asking how much? Also, pics!
~Jon
[Gone] Renault Clio 1.2
audigex

Return to Buying or Selling a car