Can't do manoeuvres.

Can't do manoeuvres.

Postby bunraku » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Hi

I passed my test 8 years ago and of course I had to do manoeuvres as part of the test. However I have always been fearful of them, to the point whereas I have avoided doing them like the plague since passing. 3 point turns are fine, but parallel parking and reversing into a parking space just don't happen. I would rather park hundreds of yards away in a nice empty space than attempt these closer to my destination.

So am I just best to get instruction from a professional or are there parking sims or something else I can use? I don't think it would take more than a couple of lessons, but money is an object and if I could relearn some other way it would be a help, but I understand there may not be any other way.

Thanks
bunraku

Re: Can't do manoeuvres.

Postby Grandad David » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Practice should help. There should not need to get professional help. I once knew a guy who, ten years after he passed, still could not reverse round a corner.
David.

Keep your pecker up.
Grandad David

Re: Can't do manoeuvres.

Postby hazard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:38 pm

I think many people can't do manouvres. During my over a year of driving I haven't done any 3 point turn - I always look for a side street, wider part of the road or drive to reverse (but I don't think it would be a problem if I really had to do 3 point turn). I have done parralel parking once (it was perfect). I try sometimes reverse into bay (when the car park is not so full) and manage to do it with straightening. I haven't done it between 2 cars - I don't feel confident enough. And reverse around a corner - I suppose I am doing something like it during trying to avoid 3 point turn (but I don't follow the curb).

I don't think you need to pay for lessons to do it. It is more with practice and controlling the car while reversing. I would watch some videos on YT to get some hints and start practising. It may take you a few attempts to reverse into space in the begining, but don't worry. I can see people trying to get the car into bay in car park at work, sometimes they correcting 3 or 4 times, but they get there in the end.

Personally I think parking your car a bit away is good thing (unless you are shopping with small children or have disability, but then there are special bays). First of all - there is less chance, that someone will scratch your car, hit it with their car doors and you have better visibility when parking and leaving parking space. And it is better for your health to do short walk from your car to shop.
hazard

Return to Still Need Some Help?