[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
2LeaP • View topic - Is it time to reform examiners?

Is it time to reform examiners?

Is it time to reform examiners?

Postby alg2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Hey folks,

I have taken test 3 times and notice that examiners got tendency to pass people only when they cant find any faults or next to no faults.

Also looking at people driving in London. Most drive far below test standard. So the test imo fails as it does not ensure people impeccable driving. Hence perhaps it could be make more lax and in so far as u driving is average u are to be passed? Also camera in the car and right to appeal to test centre senior examiner who can review so called serious faults. Also as last resolt actually do fire some examiners who mark serious falts without reason :D

Alg.
alg2012

Re: Is it time to reform examiners?

Postby Mother Giz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Postings from Old Forum 16553. Joined 14th March 2002 +50500

I'm a sensative person really.

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
DO NOT PUSH ME TO THE LIMIT
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby alg2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:32 pm

alg2012

Postby Car54 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Car54

Postby Mother Giz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:01 pm

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby Penman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi
Examiners are checked every month by their local TC manager and also at intervals through the year by a supervising examiner who is responsible for a number of TCs.
They can only mark what they see on the day, and unless you instructor is riding on the test and can give a second opinion on what you say you did, all we can do is point out that the system is fair.
What one driver might describe as clipping the kerb might actually be mounting it, another driver might easily believe they have mounted the kerb when in fact the have only nudged a proud standing drain cover.

The standard of drivers one sees out and about has nothing to do with the test standard or the examiner, it is all down to the attitude of the individual and whether they are prepared to continually monitor and improve on, their own standards.

If you don't continually strive to improve your performance WILL always deteriorate, this applies to everything we do, not just driving.
Forget Silver Spoons, mine was a Wooden One

Penman

Postby alg2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Point 2 gives account of driver with the instructor both clearly evidencing biased behavior of the examiner.

:D

Plus many drivers taking test are well able to tell when they actually mount the kerb :D
alg2012

Postby driverpete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 am

Retired ADI
ROSPA Gold
Retired NDAC & NSAC trainer
driverpete

Postby alg2012 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 am

If people driving over years is pretty same what the point in having higher standards at test? Unless its clear scheme to collect more money for the government :D Yes i would be happy to pass medium quality drivers as I sense they would be driving like that after test anyway. In fact having past first time and with ease some people might feel hey I am pretty good and strive to improve. Having been told you are rubbish aggravates many and they say after I pass I wont give a monkey about most of those rules. That is my theory explaining how come great amount of people driving is just about ok for the roads :) Feel free to post your theory. Forcing people into yielding to some rules does not guarantee compliance especially when there is no continuous reinforcement after the test.

Examiners are often biased as can be seen from numerous posts even on this forum. They might feel they are in charge as they are in the union plus gov job.

I spoke with some ADI instructors and they say same, much depends on examiner mood.

Having cameras in the car might greatly discipline them, and those who continue to be moody would be sacked.

Simple and practice idea. Right now how can even say in the pub u are driving examiner? lol

Even traffic wardens do not attract such attention of the public. Having fairer structure of test that is using cameras can finally 1) discipline examiners 2) put public mind at ease. An alternative is continuing verbal etc fights and bickering that does not look gallantry or smart :D

And yes I am amused that majority seems to be content to be subjected to random dictat of examiners.

At least site admin agrees with my point that no examiners should not be fired :)

I say to any examiner who is reading this thread consider passing more people especially if you about to retire or change job :)

Also care to explain how DSA can check their job if say they pass and fail rates are same yet they often pass mediocre drivers and fail proficient one? Without cameras in the car and right of appeal how can DSA even find out? :)
alg2012

Postby driverpete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 pm

OK, time to get back to basics.

There are certain minimum standards which must be achieved to qualify for a full driving licence: these standards are concerned with safety, legality and consideration for other road users. The driving test is designed to ensure that those applying for a full licence can meet these standards within reasonable limits. Unfortunately the test does not and cannot test drivers' attitudes and so there are many drivers out there who have reached the qualifying standard but once they have passed have little regard for the law or other road users; they are probably the same people who don't have insurance, cheat the taxman, annoy their neighbours or commit any number of inconsiderate acts. But just because the world and his wife choose to drive like idiots that is not a reason to lower the standards required of new drivers. My fellow ADI's and I work very hard to instil good practice into our clients and your suggestions are, quite frankly, an insult to our profession.

I think I've said enough on the subject now so I'll stop before I say something I'll regret.
Retired ADI
ROSPA Gold
Retired NDAC & NSAC trainer
driverpete

Postby Mother Giz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:56 pm

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby loulou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

alg2012, you seem aggrieved you were failed on your test, so tbh rather than blame everyone else: the examiner, other peoples driving, the people on this forum, etc.

Take it on the head that you failed yourself, pick yourself up, accept it, improve your skills and try again

My ex ADI once told me (and it sticks): "everyone is given their full licence at the start of every drivers test, it is up to you the individual however to keep it by the end"

a drivers licence is a privilege, not a right, if you don't display a mature attitude and skill behind the wheel you may never pass
Do, or do not....there is no try
You will find only what you bring in
Yoda 1977 - 2005
loulou

Location: Croydon born and bred for 30yrs, now living in Gloucestershire

Postby Princess_Lulu » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 am

I think when you see people not driving well after passing, well anyone can be as perfect as can be on test. I know I've made silly mistakes after passing, and in my test I tried harder than I do now, simply because I know it's strict and the examiner is watching for any faults you might do. Driving in the real world, some people are aggressive, but I bet they were lovely on test!

I do think some examiners go easier than others though. On my first test I mounted the kerb and although I failed that test, I saw on the marking sheet I did not receive even a minor for doing that. My instructor was surprised. Then on my fourth and final test, I almost scraped another car whilst doing a reverse park, I quickly realised and straightened myself up, but I received a minor for it, which I fully expected. Although I made a few mistakes, overall I was less nervous on that test, and not to mention I had a really friendly examiner. It's not their fault but they do make you feel nervous, just because you know you are doing a test.
Passed theory 48/50 and HPT 44/75
1st Practical: Fail 1s 2m
2nd Practical: Fail 1s 3m
3rd Practical: Fail 2s 6m
4th Practical: Pass 3m

Finished Pass Plus Feb 2011
Princess_Lulu

Postby alg2012 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:26 pm

:D

Well lets see how soon examiners are goings to be straightened up :D
alg2012

Postby Mother Giz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:29 pm

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Postby Vara17 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Its a long time since I read so much drivel by a poster because they did not pass.

Its everyone elses fault except their own. Get a grip and stop blaming everyone and look at the weak elements of your driving.
Vara17

Postby dakta » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 am

The test isn't perfect but it's about as good as you can get it without it costing the earth.

I hate taking this approach because it's usually unnecesary but there's two words in 'I failed' and the first is as important as the second.

Driving is all about taking responsibility for what you are involved in and how it influences an end result, even when it's not just you involved. If you can't take a test fail and make something constructive out of it, your driving prospects are not good. My two cents.

People just think it's a mechanical skill and that's where it all ends in ruddy tears.

Anyway, I do have sympathy for people taking their test and all the frustration that comes with it, the system isn't perfect but we've debated on here before and there's not really a lot you can realistically do about it. Life's going to deliver a lot more unfairness than a failed driving test, trust me.
Let's bend some conrods!
--------------------------------
"Kris - If you're going down that route - and it isn't generally recommended - get some heavy blankets over the front of the engine first. Somebody could end up seriously dead......"

^^ update 5/2/11 - Conrods now bent. Nobody died. :) RIP test subject #2

Test subject 3 now slotted in :D

I have never drawn up closely to the car in front at traffic lights with the intention of buffering up.
dakta

Postby alg2012 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:18 pm

10 days waiting rule could be abolished straight away.

There is possibility to start e petition, once it reaches 100,000 it goes to parlament.

For those of you who claim system if fine, then its fine for you to be issued penalties at the slightest speeding, etc, having licence taking off and having to test 2nd time or look for loopholes :)

Also if system is so great how come saying examiners names here not allowed? Surely there are tons of people waiting to congradilate them publicly for an outstanding service to community :)))))) hahahahaha

Have fun in your own Matrix :D
alg2012

Postby Mother Giz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm

www.boltoniam.org.uk

I am NO pushover OK
Mother Giz

Executive Site Admin

Return to DSA open messages